The tractor specialists.
The long tradition of DEUTZ-FAHR is closely associated with one particular name. Nicolaus August Otto founded the Motorenfabrik N.A. Otto & Cie., later to become Klöckner-Humboldt-Deutz AG (KHD), in Cologne in 1864, and shortly afterwards he invented the first four-stroke combustion engine. What must count as outstanding examples which have contributed to the redefinition of the term »tractor« are the start of mass production of tractors with diesel engines (1927), the mass production of small tractors (1936), the introduction of air-cooled diesel engines (1949), the first »open-view« tractor – AgroXtra - (1990) and the Agrotron series (1995).
The launch of the Agrotron TTV with infinitely variable gearbox in 2001 brought the series of innovative agricultural machines to its highpoint – for the time being at least.
The success of the tractor specialist is reflected in record-breaking figures: 1992 saw the 1,000,000th tractor come off the production line. To now there are well over 500,000 DEUTZ-FAHR tractors in use around the world. Of these, 320,000 are in Germany alone.
The combine harvester specialists.
When it was founded in 1870, Ködel & Böhm was just a small mechanics workshop in the Bavarian town of Lauingen an der Donau, but by 1890 it was already a forerunner in the manufacturing of threshing machines. 50 years later came the first combine harvesters. As early as 1955 it was Ködel & Böhm that introduced the first self-propelled combine harvester. 1991 saw the first TOPLINER come off line. 1993 saw the launch of the POWERPRESS 120 H – the world’s first self-propelled large baling press – by DEUTZ-FAHR. This was followed in 1998 by the Topliner 8XL large combine harvester.
1864: Motorenfabrik N.A. Otto & Cie. founded by N.A. Otto.
1927: Start of mass production of standard tractors.
1938: Foundation of Klöckner-Humboldt-Deutz AG (KHD).
1949: Mass production of the first tractor with air-cooled DEUTZ diesel engines.
1955: 100,000 tractors produced.
1968: KHD acquires a percentage of shares in FAHR A.G., Gottmadingen.
1970: KHD take over Ködel & Böhm along with complete acquisition of FAHR.
1981: Full line production starts with the joint brand name DEUTZ-FAHR.
1992: 1,000,000 tractors produced.
1995: DEUTZ-FAHR now belongs to the SAME DEUTZ-FAHR Group.
1996: Relocation of tractor production from Cologne to Lauingen.
1998: Relocation of the central spare parts warehouse from Cologne to Lauingen.
2002: Relocation of combine harvester production to Randers, Denmark.
The MTH 222 marked the beginning of mass production of tractors by Deutz 75 years ago. A horizontal single-cylinder engine with power of 14 hp powered a 2-gear transmission via a roller chain. With a total of 330 units built, the MTH 222 was originally conceived as a self-propelled drive for stationary machines.
With the start of production of the F2M 315 in 1933, Deutz began selling tractors with 5-gear transmissions, PTO drives and block designs. These were driven by a two-cylinder, four-stroke diesel engine with power of 28 hp.
The breakthrough for the motorization of small-scale agricultural operations came in the years after 1936 with the Deutz 11 series, the typical "farmer’s tractor" the F1M 414. For a price of 2,300 RM the farmer got a tractor with a single-cylinder four-stroke diesel engine, 11 hp of power, pulley and a PTO and reciprocating finger bar mover drive.
In 1950 the Deutz 11 series was replaced by the F1L 514 and F2L 514. Introduced for the first time in both tractors were air-cooled diesel engines which were later to become typical for Deutz. The F1L was powered with 15 hp while the F2L had 28 hp.
The launch of the D25 in the late fifties saw the new FL712 generation of engines, with power ranging from 13 to 52 hp, also introduced to the range of Deutz-Fahr tractors. A special feature at this time was the front axle suspension for improved driving comfort.
As from 1965 the D series was replaced by the D-05 series. These tractors were equipped exclusively with type FL 812 engines with axial blowers and mass balance transmissions. Four-wheel drive was offered for the first time for the D 6005 to D 9005 in the four- to six-cylinder class. The Magirus "M" also appeared on the cooler cowling for the first time.
1968 saw the first deliveries of the D-06 series, the successor to the D-05 series, featuring the newly developed D 2506 to D 13006 models with 24 hp to 120 hp. These were powered by the new FL912 series of engines. The D 13006 shown here, dating from 1972, was the most powerful tractor in the 06 series with 120 hp.
DEUTZ-FAHR’s idea of combining several agricultural operations in a single tractor led to the Intrac series in 1972. The unusual tractor concept with three mounting areas, front cab, sliding doors, front powerlift and front PTO attracted tremendous interest. Five-cylinder diesel engines were also used for the first time.
With the DX series launched in 1978, DEUTZ-FAHR brought out a generation of tractors with a completely new design concept. Featuring new engines, a fully-synchronized transmission with closed-circuit pressure lubrication and four-wheel drive as standard, DEUTZ-FAHR once again set the standard for tractor manufacturers. Elastic bearings for the cab were introduced for the first time, offering far greater operating and driving comfort compared to previous models.
With the AgroExtra, DEUTZ-FAHR was the first manufacturer to offer the first genuine open-view tractor, which went on to be much copied. Prompted by the Swedish importer for DEUTZ-FAHR, the AgroXtra offered an optimum view of the front mounting area. DEUTZ-FAHR had a major influence on the further development of the tractor industry with this tractor concept.
The year 2000 saw the introduction of the MK3 quality standard for the AGROTRON series launched in 1995. With its still revolutionary spacious cab concept DEUTZ-FAHR offers a series of tractors which still sets the standard in terms of hydraulic power, cab design and user-friendliness with power ranging from 80 to 260 hp.
The new AGROTRON TTV, launched in 2001, represented a new generation of tractors from DEUTZ-FAHR with infinitely variable gearbox and a completely new control concept. The AGROTRON TTV, with a power range from 125 to 150 hp, offers easy operation and a virtually loss-free drive concept for previously unheard of operating comfort.
Combine harvester details
Foundation years of Ködel & Böhm:
1870: Foundation of a mechanics workshop by Michael Ködel for the repair of agricultural work tools (7 employees).
1890: Construction of the first threshing machine.
1909: Foundation of KÖDEL & BÖHM GmbH.
Establishment of the Lauingen plant:
1913: Relocation from the previous production and workshop site to the current site in Lauingen.
1923: During the period of high inflation the company manages to win its first contracts for export orders to Austria and Italy.
1926: By 1936 production of threshing machines increases seven-fold.
Launch of the combine harvester from Lauingen:
1936: The 100,000th KÖLA threshing machine is produced; annual production reaches 10,000 – 12,000 units and Lauingen is the biggest manufacturer of threshing machines in Europe at the time. Production of baling presses starts at the same time.
1945: Destruction of the plant facilities.
1948: 8.5 million DM sales, of which 50% is from stationary threshing machines.
1951: Development of a production program for combine harvesters and rigorous further development of the new product line.
First combine harvester with hydrostatic travel drive:
1954: Development of the KÖLA Star chopper forage harvester. The plate wheel principle introduced in Europe by Ködel & Böhm for chopper forage harvester gains considerable importance.
1959: Since 1955 Ködel & Böhm has been manufacturing low-pressure presses. Development work finally leads to the first high-pressure press.
1962: Start of the development of a combine harvester with hydrostatic travel drive. The first German combine harvesters with hydrostatic drives are made at the Lauingen plant in 1965 where they are also successful in tests.
Establishment of the DEUTZ-FAHR brand:
1965: Ködel & Böhm achieves sales of 76 million DM in this year.
1966: The Hydromat, the first combine harvester with a hydrostatic drive!
1968: Klöckner-Humboldt-Deutz AG takes over harvester manufacturer FAHR to create Köln DEUTZ-FAHR.
Takeover by Fahr AG and KHD:
1969: In December the owners of KÖLA sell the majority of their shares in the company to Klöckner- Humboldt- Deutz AG, Cologne.
1970: Maschinenfabrik FAHR AG, Gottmadingen, takes over the workforce and the plant in Lauingen as a second plant for the production of combine harvesters.
1971: The first FAHR combine harvester comes off line in Lauingen. A data communications link is set up with Gottmadingen.
KHD combine harvester production:
1974: Growth in production of combine harvesters since 1970: 552 to the 1974 figure of 3,384.
1977: FAHR AG taken over as a branch of KHD. Development of a new combine harvester, the MD 80.
1981: Full line production starts with the joint brand DEUTZ-FAHR.
1981: Launch of the 35/36 series.
1989: Introduction of HC and turbo-separator technology.
Innovations from Lauingen:
1991: Introduction of the TOPLINER series, one of the most successful series of combine harvesters on the market.
1992: Introduction of the Starliner series, an MD series with a medium power range.
1993: Introduction of the Powerliner series, an MD series with a medium power range.
1994: Introduction of the Powerpress, the first self-propelled large baling press on the market.
1995: Introduction of the “Balance” system for fully automated slope compensation; up to 20% on lateral inclinations and 6% on uphill and downhill slopes.
1997: Introduction of the 8XL, the first 8-agitator and the world’s biggest agitator combine harvester.
1999: Replacement of the Powerliner by the Actor, replacement of the Starliner by the Ectron, and addition of the 56 series to the Topliner series.